Back to School with OPL
Check out some of our online learning resources, and upcoming programs to help you get back into learning mode for school!
OPL offers a variety of programs that inspire and encourage discovery, creativity and fun. Check out our current Fall 2022 offerings.
Kids and Youth Programs
- Exploration Station
- Little Artists
- Literary Creations
- Cursive Writing Workshop
- Genealogy for Kids
- Forensics Fun
- Google Earth Exploration
- Dungeons and Dragons
- Community Conversations
- Book Club
- 3D Printing
- Tech Help
- Book Clubs
- Historical Fiction
- Equity & Diversity
- In Conversation With author series
Note: Program offerings, dates, times and locations are subject to change.
Online Learning Tools
- TumbleBook Library offers interactive eBooks for kids in English, French and Spanish
- KanopyKids offers unlimited access to high-quality movies and TV shows like Arthur and Sesame Street.
- Hoopla offers instant streaming and downloadable children’s movies, television shows, audiobooks, and music.
- Little Pim is an online language learning system for ages 0-6.
- Storyline Online offers storytime for variety of ages, read aloud by some well-known actors such as Chris Pine, Rami Malek, Betty White and more.
eBooks and Audiobooks
- cloudLibrary offers a growing collection of eBooks and audiobooks for adults, teens, and kids. Listen or read on your computer, smartphone or tablet through the mobile or desktop app.
- AudiobookCloud is an online collection of over 1000 streaming audiobooks. Aimed at students from kindergarten to high school, the collection includes full-length unabridged classics, fiction and non-fiction books.
- CELA catalogue for those with print disabilities – CELA has Canada’s largest collections of books and online resources for people who have difficulty reading print due to a visual, physical, or learning disability.
Movies and Music
- Kanopy lets you stream documentaries, classic and indie films on desktop, mobile and Roku. Check out the Credit-Free Viewing list for a growing collection of titles that will not deduct from your 10 monthly play credits.
- Naxos Music Library allows you to stream classical, jazz, blues, relaxation, world and contemporary music, as well as spoken word and folk tales, from any computer.
- Hoopla offers instant streaming and downloadable television shows, movies, audiobooks, and music.
Newspapers and Magazines
- New York Times offers digital articles that can be viewed on any computer, smartphone, or tablet with an internet connection. Note: You will be directed to redeem a 72 hour access code. After those 72 hours have elapsed, simply click to redeem a new code.
- Flipster and PressReader offer digital magazines that you can access on your computer, tablet, or smartphone.
- Canadian Periodical Index Quarterly offers access to many full-text Canadian magazines and newspapers, including select articles from the Globe & Mail and Toronto Star.
- JSTOR now offers an Open Access section that does not require a login from an academic institution for those who need academic level resources.
- Khan Academy is a free website that offers expert-created content and resources for every course and level.
- LinkedIn Learning is an online learning platform featuring thousands of online courses taught by industry experts including: 3D printing, business, photography, coding and more.
- Mango Languages teaches practical conversation and simulates the way people learn when immersed in a foreign culture.
- Encyclopedia Britannica offers an online version which includes video clips, magazine articles, interactive exercises and activities for students.
- TechBoomers.com is a free educational website that teaches older adults and those with limited computer skills how to use popular and trusted websites like Facebook, Netflix, Amazon and more.
Family History and Genealogy
- Ancestry Library Edition is a great resource for anyone doing genealogical or historical research. Records include census data, vital records, directories, photos, and more with some information dating back to the early 13th century. Access to this resource has been temporarily expanded to library cardholders working remotely, courtesy of ProQuest and its partner Ancestry.
Borrowing Materials: Personalized Services
Grab and Go Bags
Discover new authors, reads and movies with our Grab and Go bags. Order your bag in a seamless three-step process. OPL staff prepare bags with 5 books or 5 DVDs based on available categories. Book a Grab and Go Appointment
OPL Picks for You
OPL Picks for You is a personalized book-matching service. You share your reading interests and OPL staff will expertly choose the best reading materials for you. Fill in a short survey and let us pick your next reads! Book an OPL Picks for You Appointment
Need a library card? Sign up for a new library card online.
Did you know: OPL has permanently eliminated overdue fines!