Understanding the crisis in Ukraine and how to help
The world is witnessing a crisis in Ukraine. Here's how you can stay informed and show support to those in need, overseas and at home.
We all have the right to live in a peaceful and sovereign country. As we collectively wait and hope for a peaceful resolution for Ukraine, here's how you can stay informed, show your support, as well as educational resources to learn more about the history of Ukraine-Russia relations.
Additionally, for those who may have loved ones impacted by the events in Ukraine, and/or are in need of mental health supports during this time, please see our list of resources available to you in Halton.
How to support Ukraine relief efforts
- Donation supplies accepted at St. Joseph's Ukrainian Catholic Church and St. Volodymyr Centre
- Canadian Ukraine Foundation Humanitarian Appeal
- Canadian Red Cross
- Save the Children
- KyivPride to support the 2SLGBTQIA+ community in Ukraine
- ILGA Europe to support and find news regarding 2SLGBTQIA+ community in Ukraine
- Dignity for All: LGBTQI+ Assistance Program is a consortium of seven leading human rights and LGBTQI+ organizations that provides emergency assistance, advocacy funding, and security support to human rights defenders and civil society organizations under threat or attack due to their work for 2SLGBTQIA+ rights.
Reading and News
- Ukraine History and Culture
- History of Ukraine-Russia Relations
- Ukraine and Russian Relations (eBooks and audiobooks on cloudLibrary)
- Download the PressReader app, which provides free access with your OPL library card to a large catalogue of Canadian and international newspapers and magazines.
Mental Health Resources
- Wellness Together Canada – 1-866-585-0445
- ROCK Reach Out Centre for Kids – 905-878-9785
- Canada Mental Health Association - Halton – 1-877-825-9011
- Kids Help Phone – 1-800-668-6868
- Ontario 211 – By dialing 2-1-1, you get 24/7 access to a community resource specialist for help with finding the right resource for you, available in over 150 different languages.
- Halton Community Services Directory – Halton’s online directory of community information, resources and supports.